Sunday, November 28, 2010

Zaragoza

Hail Caeser!
Zaragoza is the coolest city. It has Christian, Roman and Arabic roots. Christians came first, built their city, then came the Romans. They kindly took control and of course, built right on top of the former city. But wait, the Arabs came and decided that Zaragoza was in fact their city and you guessed it, they built right on top of everyone else's buildings.


Mercado Central. I decided to take a walk through there early Saturday morning. Damn. It reminded me of a Nigerian market. Crowds of people selling meat, vegetables, other food stuffs and of course screaming and haggling. I had to get out of there ASAP.

A view of the Roman walls from the top of Torreon de la Zuda

A dedication to my lil bro: "No virtual game, play on streets!" Zaragoza definitely had the coolest graffiti.

La basilica de nuestra senora del Pilar!
Can you peep the brightly colored tiles on the domes? They were giving me life. One of the main attractions of Zaragoza....which is why I always gave someone side eye when they asked if I saw the basilica. Ummmm, that's all anyone talks about. How I'mma go to Zaragoza and not see the main attraction.
C'mon son.
But I digress. It was quite beautiful. 

 
Museo del foro de Caesaraugusta.
This plaza was soo pretty and so was that museo. The stone was alabaster and at night it was all lit up.

Can you see me?


A little collage of all the graffitti I saw. Loved, loved, loved it!

This my friends is....bull. Yes, bull.
I must say it wasn't my choice to order this. The only reason I went into this overpriced cafe was because I saw that it said "albondigas in salsa" outside. For those who don't know, albondigas are meatballs! I've had a craving for the longest, so I thought that would be the perfect time to get some. I order the meatballs and await the best meal of my life.
Tell me why my meatballs arrive drenched in almond sauce, complete with said almonds?! Oh hayeelll no! (For those a bit slow on the uptake, I'm allergic to nuts...all of them) So I tell them and they offer me a way to choose something else. In reality, I really just wanted to drink the beer I had and keep it moving, but they were so persistent. So, I tried to pick the steak. Womp womp, they're drenched in almond sauce too. Everything else was seafood, so I was forced to give the bull a try.
My verdict? Errrmm....it wasn't too bad. I didn't finish all of it, that's for sure. It had a distinct flavor, that wasn't unpleasant, but definitely wasn't scrumptious. *sigh*

La Aljaferia! Spain's finest Islamic-era edifice outside of Andalusia.


In the courtyard. My favorite part of the palace


This statue's butt is so big! I just had to take a picture. He's been hitting those squats and lunges....I see you!

No comments:

Post a Comment