Saturday, November 13, 2010

The Spanish don't give a damn about my lungs

These people smoke ALL the time. When I say all the time, I mean all.the.time.

Last weekend my friend had to leave the club because the cigarette smoke was making her weak. My time in the club was also not the best it could be. I couldn’t properly two step without looking to make sure someone’s cigarette wasn’t burning a hole into my shirt, pants, or *insert random body part here*. And only the Lord could’ve saved the person if he/she tapped cigarette ash into my hair. Knuck if you buck and I didn’t want that. Lord knows, I didn’t want any parts of that to occur. And so I would two step to the right, look around, make sure it was safe and then two step to the left. And so on and so forth.

I could be in the middle of a conversation with a professor or two, or even a delicious meal, complete with great conversation and they will up and light their cigarette! They light that shit and smoke it, blowing the smoke all in my breathing area. Meanwhile, I’ve lost track of said conversation and am trying to find ways to breathe without inhaling that deadly smoke. Fuck spanish vocab, I’m looking for a way to escape your presence…at least until you finish that cigarette.

I mean, at least ask me if I mind if you light up in my presence. That’s polite, right?! Nah, that thought doesn’t even cross their minds. But best believe every person that has lit up in front of me has asked me if I would like a cigarette. I can’t count the number of times I’ve heard “¿No fumas?” in the most surprised and indigant tone.



Ummmm, nah you can miss me with all that. See, I peeped ol’ dude with the electronic voice machine in those ‘Stop Smoking’ commercials. I like my voice and my throat, ok? I would like the ability to use both until I pass away….from natural causes. I also like my lungs. See how well I can breathe when they’re not filled with smoke??

Ugh. I can’t even touch on how my clothes smell when I leave a cafe or discoteca…or practically anywhere else where you can smoke indoors. Dirty ashtray that has been pissed on doesn’t begin to describe the odor.

Spain, this whole issue of ‘smoking wherever and whenever I please’ is getting in the way of our budding relationship. Wanna reconsider?

2 comments:

  1. Preach!!
    We have the same issue here...at any given moment, there are a cluster of people blowing that poison stuff all up in the air with no concern for others' lives.
    I don't say anything, but I just look at them and think to myself that it's gonna be real funny in a few years when their lungs end up outside of their bodies and I still get to use mine.

    P.S. This is Chi-Chi.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Clearly, I could tell from your pic, psycho!! Ha. I'm gonna follow your blog now. Later!

    ReplyDelete