Friday, November 19, 2010

Thanksgiving is coming up and I'm at a loss for how to explain that day to Spanish children.....

I want to tell them the true story about Thanksgiving…in the most simple English sentences possible, but I know I will be at a loss for the questions that will follow.
“So the Pilgrims landed on land already inhabited by Native Americans?”
Yes
“Did they mean to land there?”
“Uhhh…not exactly”
“Did the Native Americans protest? What reaction did they have?”
“Well….a lot of them died from the diseases the Pilgrims brought over….BUT, the few that were left gave the Pilgrims some help, even though the Pilgrims robbed their houses and graves of food and anything else they wanted.”
“That’s nice! Were the Pilgrims grateful?”
“Ummmm….so, for Thanksgiving we eat all kinds of food, all of my family is there and it’s the best ever!”
Oh God.

I had a hard enough time trying to connect why we celebrate Halloween with such enthusiasm, and with as few clothes as possible, when half of us (myself included) don’t even know the history.

This is gonna be fun

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way with Halloween!

    "so, Danita Teacher where does Halloween day (that's what they call it) come from?"
    *blank stare*...ugh..."all hallows eve? *did I just make that up?* umm...well kids, we just go around with a lil bag and say 'trick or treat' and get candy. Yay, free candy!"

    haha! gotta love teaching the kids!

    ReplyDelete